Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration is a more painful error than “Your connection is not private.” However, this Ethernet connection error only experiences by Windows users. It happens when your system fails to get a valid IP address from your DCHP server.
|Note: DCHP Server stands for “Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol.” It enables automatic process for configuring TCP/IP network on your Windows devices such as a modem, wireless router, etc.|
When you switch on your Windows device, it automatically verifies your IP address via an internet connection. Additionally, it also obtains other network details such as DNS server, subnet mask, and default gateway.
Due to some technical connectivity issues, the Ethernet connection of your device fails to verify all the details above via DCHP server. For this reason, you might experience connectivity error like “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration.”
However, do not panic at all because this connectivity error is not something that could not be resolved. Even when this error occurs, it said you could resolve this issue by following few steps. However, the steps that offer by Operating System failed to fix it.
Therefore, In this guide, I will introduce some handy solutions for fixing Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration error on Windows devices.
Fix Ethernet Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration Error In Windows Devices
Before providing solutions for this error, it would be great if I tell you why this Ethernet error occurs. In this way, you will be able to resolve this issue more efficiently.
This Ethernet error on Windows devices happens due to some internet connectivity verification issues. Like, e.g. outdated cache files, wire issues, incomplete configurations, faulty DCHP, etc.
Although, it is very easy to solve this issue by following the solutions mentioned below.
|Pro Tip: Before applying the following method to fix “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration error,” I would suggest first to restart your Windows device. This is because sometimes, by restarting your device will resolve various issues. When you restart your Windows device, it automatically updates all the drivers and software, and in the result, anonymous errors get a fix without applying any methods.|
Refresh/Reboot Winsock Protocol & TCP/IP Settings
Maybe this term is new for you since users don’t bother to get much in technical details unless they have to face any error. However, by rebooting the Winsock Protocol and TCP/IP settings will assist users to prevent most of the Windows network errors. To do so:
- First, open your Windows device > now click on “Type here to search” option at the bottom left of the screen > type “command prompt” and select it.
- Now type “netsh Winsock reset” in the command box to reset Winsock protocol and wait for the process.
- After that, in the same command box type “netsh int TCP reset” or “netsh int IP reset” and wait until it’s done.
- After applying the commands mentioned above, restart your device. Now check whether “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration is resolve or not. If not, then move to other solutions.
Clear All the Network Cached Files
if the method mentioned above failed to fix this painful Ethernet issue, clearing all the cached network files might be your hero. To do so:
- Open the command prompt by following step 1 of “Refresh/Reboot Winsock Protocol & TCP/IP ”
- Now run “ipconfig /release,” “ipconfig /flushdns” and “ipconfig /renew” one by one on command prompt.
- Restart your windows device and check if “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration error” is fix or not.
Change TCP/IP Settings Manually
If “clearing network cached files” method does not fix this irritating Ethernet issue, then it’s time to change TCP/IP settings manually. To apply this method:
- First, move the cursor towards the bottom right of the screen > now right click on internet connection icon > from the list of options click on “Open Network and Sharing Center ”
- A new window will appear on the screen > Click on the Ethernet network adapter which is currently used by your system
- Another “Ethernet Status” window will appear on the screen. Now click on “Properties” option
- Now from the list of options, double-click on “Internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4). In case if you are using IPv6, select “Internet protocol version 6” (TCP/IPv6) instead.
|How to find which IP address you are using? Usually, most of the windows devices are using IPv4 instead of IPv6. In simple words, IPv4 and IPv6 use for the same purpose, which is to send data from one device to another. IPv6 is the newest form of Internet Protocol. However, to check what IP address, you are using: type “ipconfig” in command prompt and press enter > the system automatically shows you whether your system is using IPv4 or IPv6 address.|
- After completing all the above steps, there can be two scenarios
If you have all the addresses and details regarding IP static and other specific details and still you get the “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” error, then you should go back to automatic configuration method. To do so:
- You need to select two options, which is mentioned in the picture below
- Now click on “OK” option to complete the process
If you are the one who does not know anything about this configuring IP address, do not panic. You can still fix this Ethernet error by using static details (LAN IP address, DNS server, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway:
In this kind of scenario, you need to remember two numeric addresses, which is default gateway and IP address.
|Default Gateway: it is the IP address associated with router and modem based on where the DCHP server is located, as well as where the Ethernet is cable connected to. Life for example if you are using Wi-Fi, the default gateway IP address would be different as compare to IP address when you connect Ethernet cable directly with your device.|
|IP address: IP address should be in the same form as the default gateway address. Like for example, if your default gateway is 192.154.222, then your IP address should be 192.154.22.xxx. The “xxx” could be any number between 2 to 255. However, remember that it should not be the similar IP Address that other devices use. Otherwise, it will show you IP conflict error|
- After including all the addresses click on “OK” option to save the changes and restart your device and check whether “Ethernet Doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” error is fixed or not.
Check Your Ethernet Wire & Restart Modem and Wi-Fi Router
If you are using a damaged Ethernet cable, then any of the above mentioned or later methods based on modifying and changing IP addresses will not fix this irritating error.
Unfortunately, we do not bother to check system’s hardware and fail to fix this error. Think a damaged wire leads logically to create problems in connecting your windows to the internet. This is why you have to face this painful connectivity error.
Therefore, I would recommend you that apart of finding solutions by applying changes in operating systems, try to check whether your Ethernet cable is damaged or not. Moreover, if the cable is damaged, change it with a new one and check whether the internet starts working or not
Try to Reinstall Ethernet Adaptor Drivers
If you still facing failure in fixing this annoying Ethernet error after trying all the methods above, then its time to reinstall or update Ethernet adaptor drivers. Outdated and missing drivers lead to creating interruptions in internet connection. To do so:
- First, move your cursor to “Type here to search” located on the bottom left of the screen and type “Device Manager” and press > Now select Device Manager option from the pop-up list.
- Search for “Network Adapters” option and click on it > the list of network adapters will appear > Select Ethernet Adapter and right click on it and choose “Update Software” option.
- Now there are possibly two scenarios: x) Search automatically for updated driver software and y) Browse my computer for driver software.
- Choose the option you can use, and it will update your driver for Ethernet network adapter. Logically option “x” would not be your choice because it requires internet. Therefore, option “y” is a suitable choice. In case if you do not have the updated driver, you need to download it, on other Windows device and transfer it via USB or Bluetooth.
- After completing the process, check whether your internet start working or not.
Switch Off IPv6
This “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” error can also be fixed by switching off IPv6. According to one of my team Windows professional told me that due to no support to IPv6 by the server, this Ethernet problem happens. Moreover, by disabling it, your internet will start working again. To do so:
- First, open “Network and Sharing Center” on your Windows device. If you don’t where to find this option, move the cursor in the bottom right on internet connection icon > now right click on it and select “Open Network and Sharing center” option from the menu.
- Now from “Network and Sharing” window, select “Change Adapter Settings” option.
- Search for your network connection and right click on it > from the pop-up menu, click on properties option
- Now search for “Internet Protocol version 6” (TCP/IPv6) and check its box > Click “OK” to update the changes.
- After the process is complete, restart your Windows device and check whether “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” is fixed or not.
Additionally, those are having difficulty in disabling IPv6 by following the above-mentioned steps; they can use the Registry Editor Method to disable IPv6. For using this method:
- First Press “Windows” + “R” key > the “Run” pop-up will open > type “Regedit” and press enter.
- The Registry Editor will appear on the screen > move your cursor to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesTcpIP6Parameters” that will appear on the left side of the window and click on it.
- After clicking on “HKEY_Local……TcpIP6Parameters” move the cursor on the right > press right click with the help of mouse > it will show you “New” option > Now double click on “DWORD (32-bit) Value” option to open “Disabled Components” box > set value data to “ffffffff”(eight times) and click OK to save changes.
- Now restart your Windows device and check if “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” error resolves or not
|Note: Remember that IPv6 is a primary component of Windows latest generation devices. Therefore, disabling it may cause certain errors to appear. So if you face any additional issues, you need to enable the IPv6 again.|
Turn Off Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter
Another reason for having this anonymous Ethernet error occurs due to unknown adapters install on your windows device. Because of this extra device, they become problematic for your device. Therefore, by turning these extra network adapters, it will fix “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” error. To do so:
- First to open the device manager follow “Try to Reinstall Ethernet Adaptor Drivers” step one.
- When device manager opens > click on “View” option and select “Show hidden devices.”
- Now search for “Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter,” and right click on it > click on “Disable device” option from the list.
- A confirmation pop-up will appear on your screen > Click on “Yes” option and wait for the process.
- After the process is complete, check whether your internet starts working again or showing the same error.
Implement a MAC Address to Network Card
This is something bit technical but can fix your device Ethernet error. You need to understand that every network device has its specified MAC Address.
Moreover, if your Windows device MAC Address isn’t set, the Ethernet error will appear again and again. Therefore, you need to be sat a network address for your network adapter. To do so:
- First, open “Command Prompt” on your windows device > type “ipconfig” and press enter to proceed.
- The list of network option will appear > now search for “Ethernet adapter Ethernet” option and remember or copy “Physical Address” value. The physical address that you copy is your MAC address.
- After getting MAC address, now its time to assign it to the network adapter of your device. To do so:
- Go to “Network and Sharing Center” and open network connection properties as I explain you in “Switch Off IPv6” method.
- When the properties section opens > click on “Configure” option.
- Now go to “Advance” option > the list of options will appear on the screen > select “Network Address” > click on value option, paste your MAC address, and remove dashes. After putting the MAC address, click on “OK” to save the changes.
- Now check whether your internet starts working or not on your Windows device.
Turn On DCHP
DCHP is a part of Windows OS that allocates an IP address to your device automatically. Moreover, if you still get “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” error, it means DCHP fail to allocate right address on your device. To fix this issue, a simple troubleshooter may fix this painful Ethernet issue. To do so:
- First, move the cursor towards the bottom right of the screen and right click on the “network icon” > from the list of options, click on “Troubleshoot ”
- Now the troubleshoot problem will appear on the screen and starts checking the problem.
If this simple troubleshoot will not fix your Ethernet error problem, then you need to run the advance troubleshooters option. To do so:
- Open the Settings option by pressing the “Windows” button + “I” button.
- When “Settings” pop-up appears on the screen, search for “Update and Security” option and click on it.
- Now the list of options will appear on the screen > search for “Troubleshoot” option on the left side of the screen > Now select troubleshoot option for internet connection and run it.
- Now follow the entire instructions offer by Troubleshooter to complete the process. In case if Ethernet issue is not fixed, you need to change the DCHP settings manually. To do so:
- First press “Windows + R” buttons to open “Run” box > Now type “services.MSC” and press Enter
- The Services window will appear on the screen > search for DCHP client and double click on it.
- Now in the DCHP properties set the “Startup” box to Automatic > click on Apply and OK to save the changes
- Right click on “DCHP Client” option and select “Restart” option from the list
- Now check whether “Ethernet doesn’t have the valid IP configuration” error is resolved or not.
- Now the confirmation pop-up will appear on the screen > click on “Yes” to complete the process.
Run chkdsk Scan
Corruption of files is another reason “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” error. It happens due to incomplete updates and Windows installation.
One of my ex-colleague was facing this Ethernet issue on his newly installed Windows 10. Moreover, surprisingly he fixed this issue by running chkdsk scan. To do so:
- First, open “Command Prompt” > now type “chkdsk c: /f” and press “Enter” to proceed.
- Now the Command Prompt will ask to schedule disk checking > press “Y” key and press Enter
After the chkdsk scan is complete > Restart your Windows Device and check whether the internet starts working or not.
Turn Off Your Network & Update Your Adapter Properties
Turning off your network and updating your adapter properties might also help you to fix “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration according to multiple reliable sources. To do so:
- First open “Network and Sharing Center” > Now look for “Change adapter settings” and click on it to open > after opening the adapter setting option, look for your network connection and right click on it > now the list of option will appear, click on “Disable” option.
- After “Disable” the network connection, right click on your network connection, go to “Properties,” and click on “Configuration” option.
- From the Configuration window, click on “Power Management” tab and uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option. Now click on OK to save changes.
- Now restart your Windows device and check whether the Ethernet error is gone or not.
Directly Connect Windows Device with Router
During finding solutions regarding “Ethernet doesn’t have valid IP configuration” error, one of my friend find another hack to resolve this issue. He directly connects its windows device to its router, and within a period of 5 minutes, the internet starts working again.
Sometimes other network devices might not be properly configured with your windows device that causes such an error.
Therefore, to check whether this anonymous windows error is happening due to other network devices, connect your Windows device directly to the router. If the Ethernet error doesn’t show again and your internet starts working again, it means your network devices are not properly configured.
Check for Network Firmware Updates
Outdated network firmware is another reason for “Ethernet doesn’t have a Valid IP configuration” error. So, to remove this error, you need to update your router network firmware. To do so:
- First press “Windows + X” to open the menu > now from the list of list of options click on “Network ”
- Network Connection will pop-up on the screen > look for your network connection and right click on it > from the list of options click on “”
- Now the “Status” window will appear on the screen > look for “Details” option and click on it.
- Now look for IPv4 default gateway IP address and copy it for further proceedings.
- After getting the routers IP address (IPv4), now you can use it to login into your router settings and update its firmware. To update the router firmware:
Steps to Update the Router Firmware
- Connect to your router using the Ethernet cable. This step isn’t mandatory, but it’s highly recommended to establish a stable connection with your router to avoid causing any damage during the update process.
- Open your web browser.
- In the address bar enter the IP address of your router.
- Now you’ll be asked to enter a username and password. You can find the login information in your router’s manual. You can also find the login information for your router online from third-party sources.
- Once you log in, you need to locate Firmware or Router Upgrade option. Usually, you can find this option in Administration, Utilities or Maintenance section. Keep in mind that the location of this option can vary depending on the router
- Once you locate this section, you should see the current version of your firmware as well as its release date.
- Now you need to visit your router manufacturer’s website and navigate to the Support section. Locate your router model and check if any firmware updates are available. If so, be sure to download them. Some routers have a built-in option that will take you directly to the manufacturer’s website and allow you to download firmware updates for your router.
- After you download a router update, extract it to your Desktop or any other folder on your PC.
- In the Update section of your router, there should be a Browse or Choose File button available. Click the button and locate the router update file on your PC. Select the file by double-clicking
- After choosing the update file, start the upgrade process.
- Wait for the process to finish. Keep in mind that the update process can take a few minutes, so be sure to wait patiently and not interrupt the process. Interrupting the upgrade process can cause irreversible damage to your router, so use extra caution.
- After the update process is complete, your router will restart, and you’ll have a new firmware installed.
- Now check whether “Ethernet Doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” error is resolved or not.
Turn Off Network Adapter & Use Command Prompt
Another method to fix this painful Ethernet issue is by turning off network adapter and use the command prompt. To do so:
- First turn off your network connection by following the same method, which is mentioned above in “Turn Off Your Network & Update Your Adapter Properties” solution.
- After turn off your network connection, wait for 5 mins and enable the connection again.
- Now open the Command Prompt and type these commands one by one
- IPconfig /release, IPconfig /flushdns and Ipconfig /renew
- After execution, all the commands, check whether “Ethernet doesn’t have a Valid IP configuration” error is resolved or not. If it doesn’t, reboot your Windows device and check again.
After applying all the solutions above, if you still cannot get rid of this Ethernet issue, then try to reinstall your TCP IP. To do so:
- Go to “Network and Sharing Center” and click on “Change Adapter Settings.”
- Now look for your network connection, and right click on it > from the list of options click on “Properties” option.
- From the list of “Properties” tab options select “Client for Microsoft Networks” and click on “Install” button.
- A small list of option will appear > Select “Protocol” and then click on “Add” button.
- Now you just need to select “Reliable Multicast Protocol” option and click on “OK”
- Now restart your Windows device and check whether internet starts working or not.
Turn Off Antivirus, Antimalware & Password Manager Software
Using reliable Antivirus is now a requirement for Windows devices to keep it virus and bug-free. However, sometimes Antivirus software might cause limitations for network devices to perform properly with your windows device.
Moreover, the same goes for a password manager. Due to providing strong password features, it may also be the reason that your Ethernet is having a problem.
By turning off some features of your security software might resolve the Ethernet issue. To do so look for the security features those are related to providing online security. After finding all the features, turn off one by one and check your internet connection starts working or not.
Furthermore, in some cases, there is a chance that disabling security software might not resolve “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” error. In this type of scenario, I recommend you first to remove your security software and check if the error is getting a fix or not. After the internet starts working again, I would recommend you try to install the latest version of premium security software.
Disable QoS on Your Router
One more method to resolve this painful Ethernet issue is by turning QoS feature might resolve it. While searching for reliable solutions to fix “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” error, it has been noticed that QoS feature might be the reason that your internet is not working.
To do so, open your router settings and disable QoS feature. However, keep one thing in your mind that not all routers have this feature. Therefore before disabling QoS feature, I would strongly recommend you to check your router’s manual.
The last method to fix “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” error is by updating BIOS. Sometimes it might be the reason that your network might not be compatible with your router or network hardware. Therefore by updating the BIOS of your Windows device can prevent all the issues regarding the internet.
However, before applying this method keep this in your mind that it is a very advanced method to apply. Moreover, due to take any false step, it can cause severe damage to your device. Therefore, before modifying BIOS of your Window’s device, I strongly recommend you to read motherboard manual before taking any step.
Summing it Up
Without internet, using Windows device is nearly useless since in order to use advance features of multiple apps you need online access. And when you see “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” error on your device, you feel deep pain inside your body.
Therefore, I hope you would find this article helpful to resolve this anonymous Ethernet issue without the assistance of any internet professional.
However, if you still have any query or any confusion, feel free to contact us, by shouting out your comment below.