It’s an apocalyptic situation for gamers when steam won’t open issue occur while they are in a mood of heavy gaming to fulfill their cravings.
However, this kind of situation is prevalent among PC gamers because of different processor settings, hardware requirements or might be having some issues in Steam backgrounds.
According to Statista, gaming on Steam is rising since 2012:
And if there is an option like Steam app to play millions of wild and exciting games, then not a single gaming freak wants to miss it. But steam not working issue is a huge barrier to enjoy your favorite steam games.
And this issue becomes massive when you don’t know how to fix steam not launching issue and that makes you hopeless to do further gaming on the steam app.
But don’t be hopeless because we are here to provide you some ultimate solutions to fix Steam not opening issue for windows 7, 8 and 10. So without wasting your time lets find out what our tech experts explained in this guide to fix Steam game won’t launch issue.
Why won’t Steam open windows 10, 8 & 7
All of the mentioned below methods are suitable for windows 7, 8, and 10 to fix Steam store not loading error. However, some of the methods are individually for Windows 7 and 8, in case if any one of them failed to work due to an older version of Windows.
Disclaimer: For all the Steam app users, we recommend you to update your OS to Windows 10. The reason to use the latest version of Windows is due to compatibility with Steam app updates.
Shut off All the Steam App Tabs in the Background
The first solution to fix steam not working issue is due to the steam app already running in the background. It happens because when you last time closes the Steam app, it hasn’t shut down properly.
Therefore, when you try to open the app, the OS thinks that the same app is already running in the background.
So to fix Steam not loading issue, you need to close all the Steam app tabs that are running in the background, which can be done with the help of task manager.
- Go to the main screen of your system and then press “Ctrl+Alt+Delete” buttons to get the Task Manager
- After pressing the buttons > the new window will appear > select “Task Manager” from the list.
- After the “Task Manager” menu is open > End all the Steam app which are running in the background (move the cursor on the task and then with the help of “Right Click,” the “End Task” option will appear > Click it to end the task)
- Now open the Steam app again to check whether it starts working fine or not.
Reboot Your System
Sometimes, due to various updates running in the background that block the process to open the Steam app. Or Steam wont launch happen due to cache processing of your system is interfering with the app. For this reboot your system to get rid of these steam not launching windows 10 issue.
Reboot your internet Devices
In case if the methods which are mentioned failed to fix Steam not loading issue, then check whether your internet devices are providing required internet speed or not. This happens due to drivers issue in internet devices, which are creating a blockage to run the Steam app.
Therefore, by restarting your internet device, Steam not working may resolve permanently. Following are the steps to reset your internet devices:
- First turn off your modem or router, which is connected with your system.
- Now switch off the power cable of router or modem.
- Wait for at least 20 seconds
- Now switch on the power cable of the router
- Wait for the process until your modem or router is fully start
- Now reconnect the device with your system and check whether Steam not loading issue is resolve or not
Delete and Reinstall the Steam App
Sometimes when you install the Steam app, it doesn’t properly download due to updates or downloading the app from unknown source. Therefore, always download a different app from their official websites.
However, when you delete and reinstall the app again, it will adequately installed in your system and Steam not Opening will be gone permanently. Following are the steps to reinstall the Steam app:
- First, delete the Steam app from your system and download the app again from its official website.
- After downloading the process, wait for the operation and after downloading is complete, go to the folder where you downloaded the app and install it by following the instruction of the wizard.
- Remember that reinstall the Steam app on the same folder or location where it is already installed Otherwise, you will lose your data and games, which you already have on the Steam app.
- After the installation process is complete, check Steam wont open issue resolves or not
Check Update For Windows
This may be the case that why won’t Steam open due to your operating system is not updated to the newest version. Therefore when you are trying to open your favorite gaming app, you face an issue regarding Steam wont launch following are the steps to check whether your Windows up to date or not
- If you are using 10, then go to the main screen and click on the search box which says “Type here to search” and type “Updates.”
- Or in case if you are using Windows 8, 8.1 or previous version (Windows 7), then go to the “Start Menu” option, which is located in the bottom left corner of the screen > then the menu list will appear> Click on the search box and type “Updates.”
- The list of options will appear > Click on “Check for Updates” (Steam won’t open Windows 10) or “Windows Update” (Windows 7, 8, 8.1) option.
- Now the new window will appear which shows the option for “Check for updates”(Windows 8, 10). In case if you are using Windows 7, then “Check for updates” will be listed on the left side of the screen.
- Now click on “Check for updates” option > Windows will start checking updates automatically.
- After the process of checking updates is complete, look if there are any updates available, then download and install these updates on your system.
- Now check whether Steam wont open issue is fix or not.
Check Time Zone settings
If steam games wont launch after updating your Windows, this may be the case that clock setting is not set. Sometimes when you update your system Windows, it creates a difference between the actual time and not set at the time it should be.
Therefore, by adjusting the time zone, it may help you to resolve the Steam wont open issue. Following are the steps to check the time zone of your system is according to actual time or not:
- First, go to the Control Panel folder by clicking on the search box that is located in the bottom left corner of the main screen when Steam won’t open windows 10. Now type “Control Panel” or if you are using Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 > then click on the “Windows icon or Start menu on the main menu screen and type in the search box “Control Panel” to access it.
- After opening Control Panel, look for “Date and time” option by typing in the search box and click on it.
- The new window will appear > click Internet Time option.
- Now click on “Change Settings” options > check the box which says “Synchronize with an Internet time server” and click on “Update now” option.
- Now wait for the process to complete and then check whether “Steam Won’t Open” issue is gone or not.
Use Steam://Flushconfig (Windows 7, 8 & 8.1)
For the users who still don’t use the latest version of Windows due to hardware compatibility. This solution works great to fix “Steam Won’t Open” issue.
However ,this solution might seem very technical. But by following the mentioned below steps, we think this method can be applied by any user:
- First, completely exit the Steam client by using the “Shut off All the Steam App Tabs in The Background”
- Open the run dialogue by pressing windows key + r. Or you can also navigate here from the start menu by typing run.
- Type steam://flushconfig then press “Enter” key. (If asked to allow this website to open a program, please click Allow or OK).
- Restart your computer.
- Now, launch Steam directly from the installation folder, not from a pre-existing shortcut (~C:\program files (x86)\Steam).
- The Steam application will appear as either Steam or exe depending on whether how your settings show file extensions.
- Now enjoy favorite games and satisfy your cravings to the fullest
Try to Open the Steam App in Compatibility Mode
Another solution to fix Steam won’t start issue is by running your system in compatibility mode. Sometimes due to daily updates and old processor, don’t respond according to the software requirement.
Therefore, in multiple cases when you try to run any software in compatibility mode, apparently it starts working. And the same goes for my steam wont open Issue. To do so:
- First, try to go to the directory where you installed the Steam app such as C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam or by pressing the “Windows” key + r” to open the dialogue box
- Now in the dialogue box type “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam” and press “Enter” key
- Once the Steam app directory is open > search for “Steam Apps” folder and open it
- When the folder is open, it will show another folder named “Common”. This folder contains all the games you already installed on your system).
- Select the game which you want to play and press “Right Click” and then select “Properties” option.
- Now once you click on the properties > select “Compatibility” option and select “Run this game in compatibility mode for”
- Select the version of your windows and click on “Okay” option.
- Now check whether your Steam games wont launch issue resolves or not.
Check Update for Graphics Card Driver
Not updated drivers of system’s graphics card are also one of the reasons of Steam not opening issue. Especially when you want to run latest games. Therefore, by checking and updating graphics card drivers, it may greatly help you to fix the steam not loading issue. To do that, follow the mentioned below steps:
- By using the search box available in the bottom left corner of the main screen (Windows). Or by clicking on “Windows” logo or “Start” menu, a search box will appear (Windows 7, 8, 8.1)
- Now in the search box type “Device Manager” and then select it
- Once the Device Manager folder is open, search for Display Adapters option
- Now “Left Click” on “Device Adapters” to get the expanded list > select your system’s graphics card and go to the “Properties” option by pressing “Right ”
- Select “Details” tab option
- Now from the menu list, select and open “Hardwarelds” option.
- From these select and copy all the hardware and paste it on browser’s address bar.
- By doing that you will get to know which driver of your system’s requires an
- If your graphics card is running on the outdated driver, install the latest driver.
- Now when you updated your graphics card drivers, check whether Steam not opening resolves or not.
Disable Your System Antivirus
Sometimes your system Antivirus is the reason of ‘Steam will not open’ issue.
As the Steam app is hugely dependent on internet connection due to regular client and games updates, antivirus creating limitations for it. And don’t allow the Steam app to download updates appropriately.
For this reason, if your steam not opening after following the methods mentioned above, then disable your antivirus. Now check whether Steam app starts working or not.
Correct Clientregistery.Blob File (Windows 7)
Steam not loading error is something that is also caused due to corrupt “Clientregistery. Blob” file. When the file is corrupt or damage, it shows error when you try to open the Steam app.
However, there is a way to repair these corrupted files to fix “Steam won’t open” issue. Following are the steps to repair “Clientregistery. Blob” files.
- First, completely close the Steam app via Task Manager
- Go in the “Task Manager,” > go to “Processes Tab,” search for the Steam files, and end all the tasks related to the Steam
- Now close the “Task Manager” and locate the system to Steam app directory “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam”. By using dialogue box (to open the dialogue box press “Windows” key and “r” at the same time)
- Now if you find the Steam app directory, search for “Clientregistery. Blob” > and rename the file as “Clientregistery.Blob”.
- Now close the tab and try to launch the steam app from the desktop. If it still shows the ‘Steam won’t open’ issue > then go to the folder where you installed the app, search for “exe”. And try to run the app from there by double-clicking it.
Why won’t Steam Open – FAQ’s
How to fix steam won’t launch games
Delete and Re-download the Games on the Steam app will probably fix this issue for you. And if you don’t know where you can find out downloaded games. Follow the “Try to Open the Steam App in Compatibility Mode,” which is mentioned above.
How to fix Steam Won’t Launch” Issue
You can fix the steam won’t launch issue by following the methods, which are mentioned above.
We hope that you would find this guide helpful to fix Steam won’t open issue. There is no doubt Steam Client or App is one of the favorite gaming platforms for PC gamers. However due to multiple updates and different version of Windows, an issue like why is steam not opening is standard.
After following the methods, which I have mentioned above, if you still have any query or confusion, feel free to contact us, by mentioning your comment below.